Re: stock smp vs up oddities

On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 17:24, Jim Christiansen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been puzzling this on my last two dual processor system installs (7.3
> 8.0).
>
> My last two systems have been dual processor setups, and when ever I shut
> down from a gui, or poweroff from a console, using the stock single
> processor kernel, the computer will actually poweroff.
>
> While using the smp kernel, I always have to wait for it to go through a
> shutdown and then use the switch to kill the beasts.
>
> What can I do for the smp setup to allow shot powerdowns to really work?

If you add "apm=power-off" to the kernel commandline (the vmlinuz line
in /boot/grub/grub.conf) the kernel will attempt to power the machine
off via SMP even on SMP. This does NOT work on all machines, the APM
spec wasn't exactly written with SMP in mind and, well, there are too
many bioses where it doesn't work for us to turn it on by default.

Greetings,
  Arjan van de Ven