stock smp vs up oddities

Hello,

I have been puzzling this on my last two dual processor system installs (7.3 8.0).

My last two systems have been dual processor setups, and when ever I shut down from a gui, or poweroff from a console, using the stock single processor kernel, the computer will actually poweroff.

While using the smp kernel, I always have to wait for it to go through a shutdown and then use the switch to kill the beasts.

What can I do for the smp setup to allow shot powerdowns to really work?

Ideas?

Thanks,

Jim