Re: Why you should not buy Promise products if you use Linux

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, JUSTIN GERRY wrote:

>Well, technically the Promise FastTrak is nothing more than a
>standard IDE controller, with software RAID built into the BIOS.
>It is not a hardware RAID card.
><<
>
>I probably should have asked the question here first.
>
>My misunderstanding stems from the fact that I thought the IDE RAID
>card was indeed a TRUE hardware RAID. Now that I know it is nothing but
>software, I will use the RedHat based software RAID and rebuild my
>server.

This is a very wide common misconception that people have.  There
are essentially 2 types of RAID cards available.

1) True hardware RAID cards which have a processor on board, and
   usually battery backed NVRAM.  They do the RAID computations
   in the card's hardware itself, and the battery backed NVRAM
   helps to ensure disk integrity even if the system gets powered
   down prematurely.  When the system becomes powered up again,
   the card will continue writing to disk the data that didn't
   get written before the power went out.

2) "Firmware RAID" such as the Promise FastTrak.  These cards are
   software RAID, but the RAID code itself is stored in the ROM
   chip on the card.  The primary use for these cards is when
   true hardware RAID is too expensive, and your OS of choice
   does not have built in software RAID capabilities.  OS's such
   as Windows 95/98/ME for example do not have software RAID
   capability built in.  If you want to use RAID, you need to
   purchase a hardware RAID board, however that can be more cost
   than is really viable.  The firmware RAID cards allow Windows
   95/98 users to have RAID capability without spending a
   fortune.  Another usage of firmware RAID is when you would
   like to dualboot between 2 different OS's and use software
   RAID with both on the same disks, and the 2 OS's do not
   natively support a common RAID format.  For example sharing a
   RAID array between Windows and Linux.

Many people do not realize the major difference between true
hardware RAID cards and these firmware RAID cards however, and
purchase the firmware RAID hardware thinking it is hardware RAID
with the intent of usage under Linux alone. Unless one is
sharing the RAID array with Windows or some other OS like I
mentioned above however, there is really no benefit to
firmware RAID boards.  Linux "md" RAID is vastly superior.

In many situations as well, on systems with a very modern high
speed processor or processors, Linux "md" RAID is faster than
real hardware RAID cards, simply due to the fact that the raw
processing power of 2 1.6Ghz CPUs doing software RAID is faster
than the piddly 100Mhz or whatever speed dedicated CPU on the
hardware RAID cards.  Of course Linux software RAID can never
give the reliability guarantees that a battery backed NVRAM
hardware RAID board can give.

One just needs to explore both their performance and reliabiility
requirements and choose a solution that best meets the job at
hand.

>Out of curiosity, has anyone here used the Adaptec 2400A? Is this also
>a "software" RAID card?

I'm not familiar with that one.  I know some of the kernel guys
talk about 3ware hardware quite a bit, but I don't know specific
model names that are considered good.  Just be sure when
purchasing *any* RAID card, that it is really a hardware RAID
card you are getting if it is a hardware RAID card you are
looking for.  If the card seems really cheap compared to other
RAID cards, it probably is not real hardware RAID.

Hope this helps.