really exasperating cd burner issues

I have posted this before, and I have struggled with it and still cannot
figure out a solution.  I have also posted to hardware newgroups and
forums to no avail.  Basically if I burn an audio cd or rip from an
audio cd my computer becomes unresponsive until that task is finished.
Other tasks such as burning a data cd from an iso file or reading from a
cd cause no problem.  If I am playing an ogg file at the time it grinds
to a halt and stutters out a note or two every 10-15 seconds.

The dma is turned on for both the burner and the harddrive.  I have seen
posts on usenet with people with the same mobo with similar problems and
no resolution.  RedHat 7.3 worked fine and Windows 2000/XP work fine on
the same hardware.  Is there a way to fix whats broken or do I need to
buy a new motherboard?

HW List:
KT7A-RAID v1.1
BIOS a9 with hpt 2.34 bios