Re: [OT] What is it with VMWare and -m486?

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 14:01, Alejandro González Hernández - Imoq wrote:
> Sorry for posting this question here, but VMWare still doesn't support
> RHL 8.0

Search VMWare's support site. They have an experimental tar.gz that
replaces the source code for their kernel modules so it will work
properly in Red Hat 8.0 (although it compiles and runs, the warning
messages while compiling are scary)

> I downloaded VMware-workstation-3.2.0-2230.i386.rpm from VMWare site,
> installed it and when running "vmware-config.pl" it obviously told me
> that there are no precompiled modules for my running system and that it
> was going to do some.
>
> What really gets my attention, is that when it is compiling the modules,
> I get these warnings from gcc:
>
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/driver-2.4.18-18.8.0'
> `-m486' is deprecated. Use `-march=i486' or `-mcpu=i486' instead.
(snip)
> Anyway, it compiles and runs "fine", but I don't know why does it insist
> in using -m486, even if I do have a i686 kernel:

It's stating that the compiler flag '-m486' should not be used anymore,
that in the very short future that flag will go away completely, and the
warning messages you are seeing now will become error messages that halt
the compiler. VMware needs to fix their code.

> And in a side note, it really runs SLOWLY in a PIV 1.4 GHz, with win98.
> I remember that I installed VMWare (don't know which version) in a PIII
> 800 MHz a year ago or so, with Windows XP on it. It used to run very
> fine! I am thinking that probably those "optimizations" for 486 are
> doing something tricky to my system.

No, they aren't optimizations really. IIRC, it means that only
instructions common to i486 cpu's and higher will be used. This permits
VMware to run on processors from i486-i686 theoretically, although in
practice it's so that you can run it on AMD K5's and Cyrix 586 cpu's I
would guess. I don't believe for a minute a real i486 would run VMware.

> Oh, and yes, I do load the libnice.so before running VMWare.

libnice.so? Perhaps I'm spoiled hardware wise, but I never nice my
VMware.

--
Chris Kloiber