Re: Psyche seems to be slow on my machine

On 4 Dec 2002, Joe D. Trent wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have RH 8.0 on my Systemax 1.4 Ghz, 30 Gb, 128 Mb, dual boot with Win
>2K (24 Gb Linux, 6 Gb W2K). My apps seem to run quickly on Windows, but
>slowly under Linux. The problem seems to be anything gui. Text apps run
>under Gnome-terminal whiz along, once the window is open. A long text
>search/replace runs quickly. But anything else is slow. OpenOffice takes
>a looong time to load. Switching tasks is slow on just about everthing.
>When I hit the send/receive button in Evolution 1.2, it may take several
>seconds to respond. It doesn't seem to matter much how many programs are
>open, one or many. Evolution, OpenOffice, and Netscape get tired and
>crash every once in a while. Anything I might try?

192 Mb RAM is the minimal recommended amount for running a GUI with RH
8.0

You can try doing things like using a different window manager, killing
off magicdev, not using any memory intensive properties of the
window-manager, etc., but ultimately you'll need more memory.

 HTH,
Oisin Feeley