Re: Psyche seems to be slow on my machine

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 09:32, Joe D. Trent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have RH 8.0 on my Systemax 1.4 Ghz, 30 Gb, 128 Mb, dual boot with Win
> 2K (24 Gb Linux, 6 Gb W2K). My apps seem to run quickly on Windows, but
> slowly under Linux. The problem seems to be anything gui. Text apps run
> under Gnome-terminal whiz along, once the window is open. A long text
> search/replace runs quickly. But anything else is slow. OpenOffice takes
> a looong time to load. Switching tasks is slow on just about everthing.
> When I hit the send/receive button in Evolution 1.2, it may take several
> seconds to respond. It doesn't seem to matter much how many programs are
> open, one or many. Evolution, OpenOffice, and Netscape get tired and
> crash every once in a while. Anything I might try?
I had a similar sounding problem once when I didn't have my hostname set
up properly. X needs to connect to a host (in this case, localhost /
your-hostname) and because I didn't have a localhost entry in
/etc/hosts, it took a long time for anything that needed a new window to
figure out what to do.  So you could check /etc/hosts.
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@nospam.pcorp.com.au>
What one fool can do, another can.