Re: Virtual PC

I used to use VMware, it is great, but is now fairly expensive.

I have had success installing programs using wine on RH 8.0.

NOTE: There is a trick to make it work.

First thing you have to do is add your logon to group "wine", then log out and log back in. You can now access "/usr/share/wine-c", which is what the default install of wine believes to be your "C:" drive.

Next put in the software CD and when it is mounted ; cd /mnt/cdrom

The software should install under "/usr/share/wine-c/Program Files" by default.

To run the software type :
wine "/usr/share/wine-c/Program Files/{programsfolder}/{program.exe}"

Where {programsfolder} = the folder the program is installed in under
"Program Files" and {program.exe} is the name of the executable program.

Example//
wine "/usr/share/wine-c/Program Files/Claris Corp/FileMaker Pro 4.0/FileMaker Pro.exe"
{All supposed to be on one line}

or
wine /usr/share/wine-c/Program\ Files/Claris\ Corp/FileMaker\ Pro\ 4.0/FileMaker\ Pro.exe
{All supposed to be on one line}

NOTE: Paths and commands with a " " space must have the " " escaped or double quotes must be around the path and command.

Guy

Dan Clowater wrote:
Well I know there is wine - but I have had no real luck getting anything
to work well with it.  Is there a way to run a virtual windows session -
much like wabi was on Solaris, or Virtual PC on the mac?  Perhaps I am a
dufas and doing something wrong... so any suggestions would be
groovetastic! ...where'd that come from? LOL

Thanks