Re: Why you should not buy Promise products if you use Linux

Perhaps I should clarify. Yes I do realize that the kernel is a
collaborative effort of the Linus Kernel group. And that is what makes
it so damn cool in the first place. A truly open and stable software
platform that has no secrets, no twisted cost driven licensing schemes,
and hence no anti-trust lawsuits.

At first I thought the idea of not loading drivers because there is no
source available was being a bit harsh to hardware vendors. But now I do
agree 100% with Linus after going through the frustration of having to
deal with this issue.

Justin, I have a quibble with your statement there. You are
making an improper assumption. It is the kernel Red Hat uses for
their distribution. It is not strictly speaking their kernel. It
is a collaborative effort of the entire Linus Kernel group. And
to be honest they have rather noticed the lack of Promise
support that floats around. There's not much they can do about
it legally. (I suspect this is one of the reasons Linus wants
to have the kernel block all foreign modules such as nvidia
video card drivers and Promise drivers for which source is
never released.)