Re: What to use for dialup now rp3's gone?

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 10:33, Neil Bird wrote:
> Around about 03/12/2002 17:40, Oeystein Olsen typed ...
>
> > "neat" to set up the modem-connection, and "redhat-control-network" (or
> > "neat") to start the connection. You don't have to be root to run
> > "redhat-control-network". Just make sure that all users can activate the
> > modem when you configure it in neat. Works for me.
>
>     Yes, under RH7.3 the network config. app. was root-only.  Certainly a
> possibility, only having lost rp3 I not only lose the piece-of-mind
> applet showing me up/download/connection activity, but also the net.
> conf. monitor (as they were one & the same).  I don't think the net.
> conf. app. has any built-in feedback.

I would like something like that myself, but can do without.

>   Does it cope with errors like modem not responding, etc., like rp3
> used to?

Not really, it just says that it can't activate ppp0 when I've forgotten to
plug in the phone. That's the only error I've received, but I hardly ever use
a modem anymore, since I got a 2Mb line into my apartment a month ago.

--
Øystein Olsen, oystein.olsen@astro.uio.no, http://folk.uio.no/oeysteio
Institute of Theoretical Astrophysics, http://www.astro.uio.no