Re: Running X on servers

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:22:06PM +0800, M. Yu wrote:

> I was recently installing RedHat 8.0 in my office PC and noticed that it now
> comes with a package group labeled "Server Configuration Tools".  Clicking
> on Details show that the set contain RPMs that RH put together to provide
> GUI front ends to configuration tools (others are config tools in
> themselves) - they are named redhat-config-<something>.rpm.  It seems to me
> that RH is now leaning towards using a GUI-based system.  Brings me memories
> of when I had access to a Sun Netra-I running Solaris/SunOS, and x86
> machines running WinNT/2K.

Using a GUI is not that bad, as long as you takle the time to learn to
configure the system by editing the files directly. My usual approach to
configuring a new system is to use the GUI tools for initial
configuration and then fine tune with good'ol vi.

> Anyway, I think this goes against keeping server installations as lean as
> possible.  Personally, I install and run servers using text mode only (most
> are headless machines with VERY low end video cards - most of my linux
> routers/firewalls/VPN gateways are even using ISA cards!!!).  To me, running
> X on a server is not only illogical but a waste of precious resources and
> introducing a potential security risk.

Remember that the GUI tools are essentially X apps, and thus you can
have them run on the server and display on your workstation. Thus no X
server on the server. Only X clients.

> I also think that using text mode
> forces one to actually see/learn what is being done instead of hiding it
> behind GUI front-ends.  Then again, I know RH is just trying to make it easy
> for new hostmasters (I'll refrain from calling them sysads) to use/configure
> these machines.  In the end though, IMHO, it'll only introduce more
> incompetent hostmasters who call themselves sysadmins as soon as they learn
> the intricacies of the concept of point-and-click.  And when the proverbial
> sh*t hits the fan, i.e. X wouldn't load, they're stuck there staring at the
> screen feverishly typing in MS-DOS commands like HELP and wondering why
> typing a command followed by "/?" doesn't show a syntax/help screen (ok a
> bit harsh, but you get the point).

Just remember those guys will most likely be out of a job when they can
fix a problem in a critical system.

> So, what about you guys, where do you stand?  Do think running X on servers
> is the way to go?

Again, X clients on servers is fine. X servers are better left for
workstations.

Cheers,
--
Javier Gostling