xmms problems

I can't play mp3's in Xmms.  The Xmms program will open, but when I try
to load songs into the playlist window they will not load.

I've tried loading mp3's from a cdrom and I have tried copying some to
my hardrive into my home/ folder, and loading from there.  No luck from
either place.

Also I have tried clicking on an mp3 from within Konquerer, and that
makes Konquerer crash with a signal 11.
I've also tried to drag and drop from Konquerer to the playlist window
without luck.
Thanks,
David