Re: No xinerama in 8.0?? ;-(

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, dana christiansen wrote:

>I'm trying to set up a dual head system in redhat 8.0.  I have an MSI
>G4MX440 with two video outs.  I've read up a lot more on Xinerama but i
>can't find libs in redhat 8.0.  I'm pretty sure that psyche doesn't ship
>with it in its xfree86.  I downloaded the current from XFree86.org (where
>libxinerama did exist) and edited the XF86config file as the man pages
>specified but still nothing worked.  Now the problem seemed that the Nvidia
>GLX and kernel drivers couldn't work with the newly installed X system.  I
>guess the RH8.0 must differ somewhat...

Yes, Red Hat Linux comes with Xinerama.  If you have XFree86
installed, then you also have Xinerama installed.  In fact it is
not possible to install Red Hat Linux with XFree86 and _not_ have
Xinerama.  The Xinerama client libraries are part of the
XFree86-libs package.

>libxinerama did exist)

It isn't "libxinerama" it is "libXinerama".

I'm not 100% certain, however I don't think Nvidia's binary
drivers support Xinerama.  I seem to recall that they provide
multihead support in a different manner "Twinview" if I recall
correctly.  You may want to verify the exact details with
Nvidia's documentation however or with another user who has set
this up, in case I'm mistaken.