system reboots instead of shutdown, please help !

Hi folks ! I'm a newbie and I have this very frustrating situation: my
redhat 8.0 pc always reboots instead of shutting down, it doesn't mater if I
choose: shutdown from the gui, "shutdown now", "shutdown -h now",
"poweroff", "init 0", it always shuts down all the services, stops all the
processes and in the end instead of shutting the power off, it always
reboots. I searched the web for a solution, but nothing seems to work.
A bit of detail:
-duron 1.2 g cpu
-ecs k7vza pcb 3 atx with the latest bios from the mb manufacturer site
Someone said somewhere in a linux forum that this problem might occur for
the reason of a "buggy" bios - so I tried all 8 (eight !!!) bios-es
available for this mb at ecs site, nothing changed.
-2*128 m sdram pc100
-60 g hdd ibm ata 100 7200 rpm
-tnt2pro 32m video card
-sound on board (via ac97)
-pctel (hsp) winmodem - works like a dream in linux, better than in windows
Another guy said something about using reiser fs instead of ext3 and this
will solve the problem, guess what, nothing changed.
This rebooting instead of shutting down happens also with mandrake 9.0.
What it is strange for me (I'm a newbie, remember):
1. win 98 always shuts down properly, even power/sleep/wake up buttons on my
keyboard perform right, so this is why I have to stay with this dual boot
environment, to be able to shut down, because otherwise it would be not
necessary, because I only use office apps, web browsing, email, image
processing - and I have all this in linux.
2. redhat 7.2 and mandrake 8.2 had this problem sort of "randomly" - in
about 20-25% of cases, I could perform a complete shutdown from linux, the
rest of 75-80% of cases the system rebooted after shutting down every
service/process. It seems that it can't turn the dam power off at the very
end of the shutdown process
3. If something is wrong (bios, or anything else), why things happen so
"randomly" in redhat 7.2 / mandrake 8.2 ? in my opinion, the pc should
either always shutdown ok or always reboot... An why on exactly the same
hardware, but with fresher distros, the pc always reboots, never shuts down?

In the end, hoping that I wasn't to long with this message, please help me
!!! Isn't there some config file I should edit and everything go right after
that ?

Thank you all in advance !!!

Best regards, Gabriel.
webgsm@yahoo.com

Xnet scaneaza automat toate mesajele impotriva virusilor folosind RAV AntiVirus.
Xnet automatically scans all messages for viruses using RAV AntiVirus.

Nota: RAV AntiVirus poate sa nu detecteze toti virusii noi sau toate variantele lor. Va rugam sa luati in considerare ca exista un risc de fiecare data cand deschideti fisiere atasate si ca MobiFon nu este responsabila pentru nici un prejudiciu cauzat de virusi.

Disclaimer: RAV AntiVirus may not be able to detect all new viruses and variants. Please be aware that there is a risk involved whenever opening e-mail attachments to your computer and that MobiFon is not responsible for any damages caused by viruses.