Rolling my own 2.4.19 kernel with raid1

Hi,

I have been trying to roll my own k2.4.19 kernel in an attempt to solve
the dramatic performance isssue of VmWare on shipped kernels. (Thanks to
the bloody patches that bugger up the NICE values.)

The shipped kernels can boot from a raid1 root but I can not make my own
kernel do this.

My procedure is:

#!/bin/sh
VERSION=2.4.19
KERNELDIR=/usr/local/src/linux-${VERSION}
pushd ${KERNELDIR}
# GENERIC
make menuconfig
make dep && \
make clean && \
make bzImage && \
make modules && \
make modules_install && (
# assumes all goes to /boot as is Red Hat Linux custom
cp vmlinux /boot/vmlinux-${VERSION}
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-${VERSION}
cp System.map /boot/System.map-${VERSION}
# Jump to /boot and do some Red Hat Linux specific tricks
cd /boot
/sbin/new-kernel-pkg --mkinitrd --depmod --install ${VERSION}
# Return back to base
)
popd
# EOF

Choosen to have ext3 and raid1 as modules and all IDE devices and MD part
builtin just like the regular shipped kernels.

I could not say any difference in the shipped initrd image and my own as
far as I could tell. (ungzipped them and mounted them both on a loopback
device.)

Upon boot of this kernel I see some regular MD messages and then I''m
stuck with:

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k md-personality-3, errno = 2
md: personality 3 is not loaded

Unfortunatly I can not stay with the shipped kernel if I ever want to be
able to use VmWare without a P4@2GHz and 1GB RAM crawling like my old
386SX-20.

Any hints on how to solve the issue are appriciated. (Just send them to
the list and not directly so other may benefit as well.)

Hugo.

    hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.