Re: Calling all KDE fans!!

On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 09:43, Joe Klemmer wrote:

> On 29 Nov 2002, Anthony Abby wrote:
>
> > Like I said, who knows.. but one thing is certain.  Redhat SHOULD give
> > as much support to KDE as it does to Gnome though.
>
> 	I don't know any distro that is supporting both GNOME and KDE
> equally.  Not even RH has the resources for that.
>
> 	In my completely personal opinion, I don't understand the whole
> GNOME vs KDE thing.  They are so much alike it's silly.  The only
> differences between them are so trivial it's ridicules.

This has always seemed silly to me as well. I remember reading somewhere
that even Linus has mentioned before that GNOME and KDE should probably
merge. They're both excellent environments and people being religious
about one over the other should really rethink what they are saying.

At a minimum, I think they should be made to inter-operate with each
other fully (more than just cut-n-paste). Ideally, they should become
desktop personalities that are built upon a common base. Flame wars
between these two camps have historically only made the Redmonians smile
and people like me shake their heads...

Whether you like Bluecurve itself or not, I think the rationale behind
why Red Hat did what they did is sound business. They certainly upset
the right people on both sides.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers,

Chris Williams

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,
try orderin' someone else's dog around."
--Cowboy Wisdom