Re: Testing Psyche - Newbie performance questions

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 13:56, dballester@kernpharma.com wrote:
> Hi to all:

<cut>

>      Well, after upgrade from RedHat 7.3, booting to init 5, 90% of memory
> seems occupied. If I start any 'big' application as Mozilla, swap to disk
> begins :(.

It could be Gnome2+mozilla is a bit too much for 128mb. I assume
doubling the memory of those machines would help a lot. Maybe try
another browser (galeon, opera, konq) with a lower memory footprint...

Is the swapping really hurting performance? On my 512mb system there's
still a bit of swapping when the kernel decides memory can better be
used for disk cache than just for holding unused program data...

>      System monitor claims that X server is near to 80 MB, is normal? My
> resolution is 1280x1024x24bpp.

The memory allocated by the X server includes memory for the framebuffer
and backing store, most of which is virtual address space mapped in by
the X server. It's not really using 80mb ram, but I don't know how much
it's really using...

>      I had added the next hdparm values : -c1 -d1 -W1 -p4 -X69 -u1-m0  (
> m16 slows transfer rates in -tT tests )

Does setting the pio mode _and_ the dma mode make sense? The hdparm man
page says you shouldn't have to fiddle with the -X setting. Is your
transfer rate better after running this hdparm command than before?

>      Not recompiled kernel yet.

I did; doesn't make that much of a performance difference... even the
pre-emptable/low latency kernel patches don't give me really noticable
improvement.

>      I'had looking in www for tips about performance, but a lot of them
> seems to be outdated.
>      I will recompile all src.rpms, any tip obout optimizations flags? (
> I'm evaluating different combinations and pretend to use -02 -march=i686
> -fomit-frame-pointer -malign-functions=4 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  with
> gcc 3)

Have you measured performance increase with those settings? Redhat 8 is
already compiled with i686 optimizations (although code should still run
on older pentium-class machines). This will not give your system the
"boost" some people think it will...

>      Any type or advice?

Don't waste your time recompiling stuff. The packages Redhat delivers are
_almost_ optimized, so there's not much to gain that way. Instead, try leaner
software and/or increasing memory.

greets,
Klaasjan