Testing Psyche - Newbie performance questions

Hi to all:
     I'm evaluating RedHat 8.0 and I have some questions that may be stupid
o simple, but I'm only searching for tips, advices or starting points, not
wanna waste your time ( ahem... very much ;) ).

     All questions are refered to performance and resource consumition in
an 'enterprise typical desktop machine'. That's hardware configuration that
i'm using:

     Dell Optiplex GX150
     Intel Celeron 1Ghz
     128 Mb SDRAM System RAM
     Intel graphics 815 OnBoard ( 3D AGP  :? )
     AD1885 AC97 ( Emul. Sound Blaster )
     3Com etherlink 10/100 OnBoard
     Intel 82801BA Chipset ( 815E )
     HD 10Gb ( don't ask me model, but I think that's 'modern' Maxtor )

     Well, after upgrade from RedHat 7.3, booting to init 5, 90% of memory
seems occupied. If I start any 'big' application as Mozilla, swap to disk
begins :(.

     System monitor claims that X server is near to 80 MB, is normal? My
resolution is 1280x1024x24bpp.

     I had added the next hdparm values : -c1 -d1 -W1 -p4 -X69 -u1-m0  (
m16 slows transfer rates in -tT tests )

     Not recompiled kernel yet.

     I'had looking in www for tips about performance, but a lot of them
seems to be outdated.

     I will recompile all src.rpms, any tip obout optimizations flags? (
I'm evaluating different combinations and pretend to use -02 -march=i686
-fomit-frame-pointer -malign-functions=4 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  with
gcc 3)

     Any type or advice?

Regards