Re: Wallpaper Changer

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 21:22:48 -0500
rchrismon@rcn.com wrote:

> Randolph "Randy" L. Chrismon
>
> > On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 01:48, ABrady wrote:

> > > I have chbg allowing me to change backgrounds in either KDE or
> > > gnome(well, I did in Gnome until the panel stopped working; now
> > > only in
> KDE).
> > > It was giving me problems as well. I set the backgrounds to None
> > > in
> the
> > > settings for each and it allowed chbg to work.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Secret hacker rule #11: hackers read manuals.
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Steve Sykes
>
> I'm sorry, I've missed something. I'm seeing a quoted message with
> your signature attached but no additional information. Do you know of
> something that would help? Obviously, the lack of changing wallpaper
> is not a life-threatening issue. Still, it's something I'd like to
> have.

In my case, I used chbg, as I stated. My info is all there. I didn't
send anything additional excepting what I stated before. But, the
following mentions something I did send, so I decided to go ahead and
reply.

> As for the secret hacker's rule, I work for a living. I don't have
> time, patience, or inclination to read hundreds of pages of poorly
> written documentation with no boolean search capability just to find
> the one tidbit that might relate to the problem I'm having. Sorry;
> it's my pet peeve. Where I work, the coding is not complete until the
> documentation is (b-trieve) indexed.

Don't take it personally. It' random. It's only a signature that holds
no significance whatsoever. It wasn't directed at you or anyone else. It
gets added at random out of a list of such things. Just like the one at
the end of this post (which I haven't taken the time to read yet).

Take a look again at what I've written. I got chbg on freshmeat and
compiled it. I also had to set the backgrounds in KDE and Gnome to
"None" or they controlled the process and wouldn't let chbg do its
thing.

Now, you're welcome to take this personally. Or not.

Granted, it may be a bit intimidating to have to go through tons of
documents to find answers. But many, including me, won't just hand you
the answers you seek without first wanting you to show that you're
serious about using linux. Something as simple as this will usually get
something. Things that are more involved may not.

Generally all that some like me ask is that you do some of the work. We
(I) won't just hand you the answers outright or you'll never learn
anything. If not learning anything is what you want, there are platforms
suited to those purposes. Linux isn't one of them.

However, if you show an inclination toward trying to figure out how to
do things on your own, and you find yourself stumped or unable to locate
suitable documentation, we'll (I'll) bend over backward to help.

Lack of time is a suitable excuse. But it won't always work, especially
if it appears to be overused.

I don't know what you do for a living. But I have a full time job, have
a 4-year-old while I'm at the ripe old age of 50, and have numerous
responsibilities in both my personal and professional lives. I still
find time in all of that to seek answers to problems and to learn. If I
didn't or couldn't, I'd use something other than linux.

--
Therapy is expensive, popping bubble wrap is cheap. You choose.