Plextor CD-RW won't read audio CDs?

I am running Red Hat 8.0 with kernel version 2.4.18-18.8.0 in smp mode
on a dual Pentium III workstation. I have a Plextor 40x12x40 speed CD-RW
drive. It will read data CDs perfectly, though it has some trouble with
CD-R and CD-RW discs. More importantly, though, it refuses to read any
audio CDs that are placed into it.

If I run grip or the gnome cd player, the application acts as though no
disc has been inserted. The drive spins and tries to read the disc but
never succeeds. At worst, the application will lock up and I will have
to kill the process.

Does anyone know why this is, and how I might fix it? Is anyone else
experiencing a similar problem? More importantly, has anyone else used
the Plextor 40x12x40 CD-RW drive successfully without such problems?P