Re: Server sizeing

Dusan Djordjevic wrote:

Hi all,

I want to install Red Hat 8 server and to have clients logged from X terminals. Users would use KDE and OpenOffice. Is there any reliable way to calculate how much memory/cpu i need per user.

It will depend on how your users behave, and how you encourage them to behave. I know that a two processor SPARC system running at 75Mhz with 512 Mb RAM and 2Gb swap was more than enough system to support 50 users running mathematical modelling software in a classroom situation.

You'll want to actively discourage applications such as on-screen clocks with hands (rather than digital readouts), animations, and screen savers other than blank ones. It would also be worthwhile to investigate if you can turn off animated activity indicators, like the animated icon in the corner of Mozilla. A very significant optimization to network traffic and perceived performance is to run the window manager locally, rather than on your server. I did so with the NCD X terminals I was using.

You'll need to do performance monitoring. Get Adrian Cockroft's book on performance tuning for Solaris for ideas, learn sar and its friends, and remember that Gnome's sysmon program evidently has a memory leak in some situations (IIRC).

I am sorry to be so vague, but I don't have a good feel for the memory consumption of KDE or OpenOffice. Maybe you'll find more at http://www.ltsp.org.

Alan
--
Alan Peery