Re: File And Print Sharing

Ahh... so your talking about using Linux for the workstations.

Honestly I haven't employed Linux in the situation that you've described.
I tend to keep Linux for the servers and Windows clients on the desktops.

File sharing in the Unix/Linux world is typically done with NFS although
you can use Samba. Since my Linux servers mainly provide services to
Windows clients, I use Samba. I rarely mount filesystems from other Linux
servers. SCP is usually ok to copy what I need between boxes. I've never
dealt with NFS but I suppose I should monkey around with it one day for
the experience.

Printing will be handled by LPRng or CUPs. Go to http://www.cups.org and
there should be info on setting up CUPs. RH8 uses LPRng by default so
you'll need to run redhat-switch-printer in order to switch the default
print services from LPRng to CUPs. You can also visit
http://www.linuxprinting.org/ for some info.

Printing can be a royal pain depending on what printers and connection
types (serial, parallel, usb, network) you have. In my setup, the Windows
clients handle formatting the print jobs and then they pass them off to
the Linux server. The server merely is a print spooler that hands the job
to the printer without actually doing anything to the print job. In your
situation though, you'll be concerned with getting correct print filters.