Re: XMMS from source under RH8

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 10:06 am, Samuel Monsarrat wrote:
> Also, what system is this? what soundcard?
This is on an old AT based desktop with a SB-16 card. Sound on this system has
worked with XMMS under RH since 6.2.

> When you say it works for root do you mean that you log in as you, su -l
> to root in a xterm  and run xmms or do you restart X and log in as root?
> Do you use KDE or GNOME, do you have a sound server running?, have you
> configured gnomemeeting?
I am not a Gnome user, I use KDE. In running XMMS as root, I can do it several
ways, through a Konsole shell window, through the "Run Command..." dialog,
and from within Gnome as both user and root.

My sound configuration is through arts which is the KDE default (or only?)
choice. I am using the stock OSS driver for XMMS.

My permission on /dev/dsp are:
crw-------    1 root     root      14,   3 Aug 30 16:31 /dev/dsp

console.perms is stock for RH8.0 (I have not modified it) and is reading
<sound>=/dev/dsp* /dev/audio* /dev/midi* \
	/dev/mixer* /dev/sequencer \
	/dev/sound/* /dev/beep

<console>  0600 <sound>      0600 root

I hope that this extra information helps.

Rob
--
Rob Blomquist
Kirkland, WA

On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it said
'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux and lived happily ever
after.