Re: remote desktop

> I am not sure why anyone wuld use VNC rather than xdmcp. I am
> willin to be enlightened.

1.) bandwith !
Try to use XDMCP( X Protocol) on slow modem connection....
and do it again with VNC.

2.) XDMCP is a kind of authentication protocol for XDM login manager.
The protocol used by X Apps is X-Protocol, which is very bandwith-hungry
and it is , by my opinion, totally not optimized for Network usage. YEs
- there are a few things that you can use with X-Protocol, like
compression , but they are too hard to be implemented in real "Terminal
Server" behaviour.

3.) RDP ( the protocol used in MS Terminal Server) is very light and
consumes very low bandwith - no more than 5-6 k/s. VNC protocol is light
too and its bandwith usage is around the same as in RDP.

So, VNC is the only present existing candidate (as protocol) for
implementing "Terminal Server" in Linux/Unix OpenSource World.
There are 2-3 projects, which you can find on sourceforge, that try to
implement it, but a month ago there werent usable yet.

Cheers,
Ivaylo Toshev
MCP,SAIR Linux/GNU LCP