Dual boot WinXP and Linux [was: (no subject)]

rpratt@proaxis.com wrote:

> I'm installing Redhat 8.0 to it's own 14 gig HD. It's sharing the PC
> with WinXP. I want a choice of OS when I boot up.
>
> When I install, do I want the installation program to write to the
> boot information to HDA in the master boot record, or write the boot
> info to the Linux drive?

You want it on /dev/hda, because that's the place the computer BIOS
boots. But make sure that the installer detects and adds your Windows,
or you can no longer boot Windows!

If you are not sure, put the boot loader on the Linux drive, let the
installer create a boot floppy disk and boot Linux from the floppy. You
can set up the dual booting with the Linux boot loader at any time when
you know what you are doing.

P.S.: *Please* use always a good subject on your mails, or you won't
receive much replies!

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/