Moving RH-8.0 to another architecture (586/686)

Loaded RH-8.0 on a hard drive mounted in a PII (686) system. My goal is to
install this new hard drive in my DMZ server, which is 586 based. Prior to
installing this hard drive into my dmz server, I created a tarball of /boot
and /lib/modules from another 586 based system that is also running RH-8.0
and replaced these files/directories on the new hardrive. Then proceeded to
boot the new hard drive on my DMZ server. Unfortunately, when the system
boots -- it hangs on the INIT stage. :-( Grub works, the kernel starts to
boot, but just hangs after printing "Freeing up memory". Sorry can't get a
cut/paste at this stage in the boot process. But when I put the original
drive back into my DMZ server, the next statement (process) after "Freeing
up memory" is INIT. Obviously I missed something in my understanding of what
files are architecture dependent.

I have looked at (printed) all the rpm's architectures and only see that the
kernel is compiled for a particular architecture. Everything else seems to
be i386 based. i.e. rpm -qa. Even glibc.

Am I missing something obvious here? I am trying to minimize my downtime by
installing this new hard rive in my DMZ server. If I had a spare 586, I
would have used it, but...

Any pointers would be appreciated. I'd hate to lose all the time I have put
into this project.

Thanks
Steve Cowles