Re: serial console question

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:12:27PM -0500, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> I'm wondering how to setup for serial console.  I am setting up a
> small cluster and want to avoid the expense of a kvm switch.
>
> Reading in the kernel serial console doc, I get the impression that I
> don't need to setup anything?  If there is no video card found I will
> automatically get a serial console, configure 9600N8.  Is this
> correct, or do I need to edit some config file?

The following should get you started.

In /etc/grub.conf, make the first two lines:

	serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
	terminal --timeout=10 --silent serial console

[The timeout value is in seconds, the silent indicates that
 you don't want the "Press any key" prompt to pull up the
 GRUB menu.]

If using LILO, the correct line will be

	serial=0,9600n8

Append the following to your kernel command line:

	console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600

[In LILO, append="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600"]

This will give you a vga console [if present], and a serial console.
If there is no VGA device, then you can eliminate the first part.

You will need to run a getty on the console, so
in /etc/inittab, add the following:

        # run a getty on COM1 (serial console)
	co:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 9600 ttyS0

You can comment out the virtual console mingetty(s).

I find 9600 annoyingly slow, but most hardware comes configured
at that speed.  Use 115200 throughout if your serial link
can handle it.

BTW, if you have not already done so, you probably want to turn on Magic
SysRQ in /etc/sysctl.conf:

	# Enable the magic-sysrq key
	kernel.sysrq = 1

Then read Documentation/sysrq.txt in the kernel tree, and figure out
how to send a BRK from your terminal software.

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky