Re: Walk thru for cups

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 06:35:58PM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Cups has quite a lot of documentation but it isn't organized in a
> hands on HOWTO sort of way.  I'm having trouble with the basics.
> Is there a walk thru for setting up cups on Redhat or at least on linux?

Except for the very summary information in the RH docs I know about
nothing specific for RH (=psyche).

The following documentation however has been very helpfull to me when
I first setup cups last year:

- a paper presented by Kurt Pfeifle at SANE, Maastricht, 2002.
  I found it under the name "SANE2002_3_cups.pdf" (in english).
  at http://www.nluug.nl/events/sane2002/
  (look under 'SANE 2002 papers' for: CUPS "Plug'n'Play" for network printing
  (PDF), by Kurt Pfeifle)
  This is a really excellent overview of cups and how to set it up.
  I advice you to get and read it.

- A cups.faq, by the same Kurt Pfeifle (german only as far as I
  know) to be found at http://www.danka.de/printpro/faq.html

There are actually only 2 'sticking' points in setting up cups.
- there are no suggestions for some of the entries in the 'browser' approach
- there is no suggestion that you have to edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf if
  you want to use cups in a home network.

Alexander

--
*The United States must fully disclose and destroy
 it's Weapons of Mass Destruction*