Re: Help with PostgreSQL startup

Hi,

yes, it's working. But as Gordon mentionned it in an earlier post, your init script will be destroyed when the rpms are updated.
I think you really should edit your postgresql.conf and configure it correctly, in addition there are lots of interesting options you cannot pass with the command line.

Daniel WELLS a écrit:
I think I've solved the problem.  Here is how I did it

I edited the "/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql" file and added "-o -i" to the start and restart command lines.  The "-o" is a "pg_ctl" option for passing directives, in this case "-i" to the "postmaster".

Just in case I also added an entry in the "pg_hba.conf"

host	all	"local IP Address"	"mask"	trust

It is working.

fredbriand@blueboxstudio.net 11/22/02 12:57AM >>>

Hi,

all this seems quite strange. In my configuration files, only pg_hba was modified, as for postgresql.conf, every line is commented.

What is the exact error message when you try to connect? Because even if postmaster start without the -i option, you should still be able to connect to the serveur with unix-sockets in local, as specified in your pg_hba.conf.

I may mystake because I configured my serveur some times ago (i'm still using RH73!) and that's not the kind of thing I modify for fun, but if I remember well, and I think I do, postgresql's default conf is not to accept tcp/ip connections. If you wish to, just modify pg_hba.

Yet if it still does'nt work, I suppose you can add the -i in the /etc/init.d/postgresql. Just find a line by the end of the "start" section that says:
su -l postgres -s /bin/sh -c .....
If modifications to the start script can be added, it should be there, but I don't know the exact command line, and to be quite honnest I don't think this will work because the script uses pg_ctl and not postmaster.

Here is my pg_hba.conf file, you may try that first :-)

#
# PostgreSQL HOST-BASED ACCESS (HBA) CONTROL FILE
#
#
local all ident sameuser
host all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 trust
host all 192.168.123.0 255.255.255.0 password

Have fun, and tell us what you get.
fred