Re: Help with PostgreSQL startup

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 23:57, FredBriand wrote:

> I may mystake because I configured my serveur some times ago (i'm still
> using RH73!) and that's not the kind of thing I modify for fun, but if I
> remember well, and I think I do, postgresql's default conf is not to
> accept tcp/ip connections. If you wish to, just modify pg_hba.

pg_hba.conf configures access control mechanisms.  postgresql.conf
configures daemon options, such as whether or not to listen on the TCP
port.

> Yet if it still does'nt work, I suppose you can add the -i in the
> /etc/init.d/postgresql.

Bad idea:  updates or errata will replace the init file, and interrupt
service.  Configure the TCP socket where it's supposed to be configured,
and the future will bring you less trouble.