From: Randy Kelsoe [mailto:rkelsoe@ev1.net]
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 9:10 AM
To: psyche-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Problems with NE2000 ISA Card

David Mascot wrote:

>I recently installed Red Hat 8, for the first time, onto an old Dell
>Demension.
>
>I can't get the NE 2000 ISA Ethernet card initialized.
>
>I don't have any drivers for this card, but I do have a dos program on a
>floppy that allows me to configure the card to any I/O address and IRQ.
>Currently I'm trying IRQ 10 and 300 I/O.
>
>>From the Red Hat desktop I selected "system settings", then "network" and
>then the "hardware" tab.  I pressed "add" and selected the NE1000-NE2000
>from the dropdown list.  Then I inserted the configuration of IRQ 10 and I/O
>0X300.  When I hit "o.k." I get a message that says the card "cannot be
>initialized".
>
>Am I missing some steps, or doing something wrong?  Sure would appreciate
>some help.
>
>Thanks,
>David

Wow! Haven't dealt with ISA in a long time.

1. Try   dmesg |grep 2000        and see if you see anything
2. do a   cat /proc/interrupts     and see if you see the card, and if
you do, if it has an assigned IRQ
3. do a   cat /proc/interrupts     and see if the ioports match what you
configured with the DOS setup program.

Looking at the RedHat HCL, it looks like the NE2000 is compatible
   http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagename=details&hid=4428

try the above, and post the results.....do you have a PCI slot
available? PCI NICs are cheap, these days and they're faster, easier to
deal with.....:)

DISCLAIMER:
Information contained and transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to Wipro Limited and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If this is a forwarded message, the content of this E-MAIL may not have been sent with the authority of the Company. If you are not the intended recipient, an agent of the intended recipient or a  person responsible for delivering the information to the named recipient,  you are notified that any use, distribution, transmission, printing, copying or dissemination of this information in any way or in any manner is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete this mail & notify us immediately at mailadmin@wipro.co.in