Re: Questiona about owner option in fstab.{2nd try]

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 15:42, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> Well I blew it . I did not explain the problem because it was a
> valhalla problem. But for completeness we had students on our lab
> login to a machine console and not be able to mount a cdrom
> because the device /dev/hdc was owned by someone else. Has any one
> see this?

Yes, it happens when users don't log out properly, or don't log out at
all.  For instance, if a user is logged in on a text console, and a
second user logs in to X, the second user does not get ownership of the
files.  Also, if a user logs in to X, and then uses a three finger
salute (CTRL+ALT+Backspace) to log off, he'll maintain ownership of the
files.  It's not pretty.  The pam_console system relies on users to
behave themselves, and co-operate.