Re: Questiona about owner option in fstab.{2nd try]

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:07:08AM +0800, John wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
> > I got no takers on these questions on the valhala list. Maybe here I will do
> We've all left;-)
> > better.
> >
> > What is gained by this more complicated owner option as opposed
> > to the precious user option for allowing a user to mount a cd? I can't
> > see any advantage to this arrangement.
>
> With "user" you mount, I can unmount.
> With "owner" you mount, I cannot unmount.
>

> > The related question is their any serious important effect of simply
> > changing the owner option to user which would prevent the first problem
> > mentioned?
>

> What problem?
Well I blew it . I did not explain the problem because it was a
valhalla problem. But for completeness we had students on our lab
login to a machine console and not be able to mount a cdrom
because the device /dev/hdc was owned by someone else. Has any one
see this?

Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University