IMAP issue with v8

I've got a Fujistu laptop loaded with RedHat v8 and everything (so far) is working as expected. One thing that is acting weird is getting a connection with my IMAP mail server. I connect to an internal server via a DSL / VPN connection. I have a Sparc Ultra10 that I use in this environment and connecting to my IMAP server via Netscape Messenger v7 works like a champ. I've pulled down Netscape Messenger v7 for linux, but when I try and connect fro RedHat I get connection refused by the IMAP server.

I know I can get to the server via linux because I can successfully connect via telnet server.domain 143
Is there something I'm missing or have set incorrectly from the linux side that will cause this problem?

Thanks, ajTreece