overcoming small annoyances?

As much as I enjoy RH 8, there are a few small annoyances that I have
not been able to figure out:

1) The rhn-applet-gui periodically disappears.  A ps shows it's still
running but it is gone from my panel notification area.  I haven't
figured out what I do to cause it to go away.

2) I have no startup sound.  I suppose it could be argued that this is a
good thing, but I would like to figure out how to make it work.  All my
other sounds seem to work and I can play my startup3.wav from my Sound
Preferences dialog, but it just won't play when I log in.

3) I haven't figured out how to get my app windows to open in a
particular place on my desktop.  I'm not referring to those windows that
start automatically at startup.  They seem to remember their positions
just fine.  I'm referring to apps that I open and close during the day
while logged on.  They all want to start in the upper left corner of the
screen.  I haven't figured out how to change this so that they remember
their positions after closing them.  I don't recall having this problem
with 7.1 or 7.3.

Any help on any of these items would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!