Re: A thought about psyche

On 19 Nov 2002, Brent Fox wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 14:08, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > it's like the schoolyard bully who's had his way for years.  individually,
> > no one can stand up to him but over those same years, a thought grows
> > that, if everyone bands together, they might be able to do something about
> > it.  and when the end comes, it's swift and bloody.  it might be something
> > slight and insignificant that finally sets it off, but at some point, a
> > group turns on the bully and proceeds to beat the living bejeezus out of
> > him.
>
> Swift and bloody?  Man, I'm glad I didn't go to the same school you
> did!  Jeepers.  ;)

it's an analogy, dood. :-)  but i'm hoping you saw the point --
when microsoft finally (and, yes, the day is coming, as country
after country get tired of sending their scarce IT dollars to
redmond) loses their monopolistic stranglehold, there are going
to be precious few who will be willing to play nice with them.

all of the individuals and companies they've shafted and robbed
over the years are going to be in no mood to talk interoperability
or standards.  they're just going to delight in kicking the
daylights out of someone who's never shown anyone else a minute
of compassion or fairness in their entire corporate history.

it might still take a while, but it's coming.

rday

p.s.  and it will be interesting to see what happens to all of
those ex-MS developers who, for the first time, may actually
be forced to write code that is efficient, secure and adheres
to standards.  *that* should be a new experience for most of them.