Re: Gnome Memory used > 1 Gb

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 11:25, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 09:57:38AM +0700, PHD wrote:
> >
> > I just made a copy from my $HOME to another local drive (hdd1) in order
> > to save my datas. I use the command find . -print | cpio -pdumv, classic
> > command anyway.
> >
> > The copy (less than 1.7 MB) works with no problem but I noticed than
> > even several minutes after the end of the cpio, my screen was slow.
> > Checking via system monitor, the gnome terminal was using 1.1 GB of
> > memory (include swap) and my RAM memory about 90% used (I have 512 MB).
> > Is it normal, or a bug with RH8, or something wrong with my Intel P4 or
> > gnome 2 ? Anybody had noticed that before ? Do I have to sync something
> > ?
> >

> The version of Xft in 8.0 leaks a lot of memory on X servers without
> RENDER. You can see if you have the render extension using "xdpyinfo"
>
> If you don't have it that would typically mean that your video card is
> poorly supported by XFree86, or that you're using VNC or something.
>
> Havoc

Yep, you are 100% right. I have a i845G not entirely supported by Xfree
4.2 for the moment, with no render extension until Xfree 4.3.0. Well,
that's pretty good news because I will acquire soon a new video card,
fixing the rendering problem, and this memory leak also.

Thnaks a lot for your quick answer,

Philippe
--
Philippe <phd@fcomfrench.com>