Gnome Memory used > 1 Gb

(RH8 2.4.18-17.8.0 / P4 Intel 2Ghz)

Hi,

I just made a copy from my $HOME to another local drive (hdd1) in order
to save my datas. I use the command find . -print | cpio -pdumv, classic
command anyway.

The copy (less than 1.7 MB) works with no problem but I noticed than
even several minutes after the end of the cpio, my screen was slow.
Checking via system monitor, the gnome terminal was using 1.1 GB of
memory (include swap) and my RAM memory about 90% used (I have 512 MB).
Is it normal, or a bug with RH8, or something wrong with my Intel P4 or
gnome 2 ? Anybody had noticed that before ? Do I have to sync something
?

I needed to close my terminal windows, the one where I launched the cpio
command, to free everthing ...

Thanks,

Philippe
--