Re: A thought about psyche

Psyche is good in a lot of respects for the newbie, and the computer
illiterate esp. with the "generic names". However that makes it harder
for the rest of us who are set in our ways. The problem is the "hiding"
of stuff to reduce complexity, and the difficulty of finding that stuff
in the doco. Us experienced Linux'ers who did the hard yards finding the
cool stuff, figuring out how to set it up and get it to work, end up
having to do it all over again!

Overall psyche is good, I just keep finding missing bits, little things
that make Linux great. What ever happens, RH have to make sure they
don't dumb it down, just give people a guiding hand and make it easier.

Cheers.

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 01:46, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> This is not a deep thought but something that occurred to me that I have not
> seen commented on anywhere else. If you were a windows user you would feel
> really at home in psyche. Most windows users get no farther than using Windows
> office and a browser. In RH 8 there they are on the task bar. The main menu
> looks vaguely familiar. You can run a program from the run option or choose from
> added programs which look a lot like the selection in windows. Sure there is
> more depth than that in RH 8 but it looks like a real attempt on Red Hat's part
> to sell the product to former Microsoft fans. The Windows office files seem
> even compatible with psyche office files.
> Quite a clever strategy if you ask me. What so others think?
> --
> Aaron Konstam
> Computer Science
> Trinity University