Re: large IDE disks (>137GB) and IDE controller cards

FRW> I currently have several servers using 3ware's Escalade 7500 4
FRW> channel PCI controller driving three WD1800 (180GB) ATA hard
FRW> drives each.  I have them setup for RAID 5 and that gives me
FRW> 360GB per server.  I like them.

I second the recommendation for 3ware; I have terabytes of disk
hanging off of them (using 160GB and 200GB disks, along with various
smaller sizes).  I've always been satisfied, and the management
software keeps getting better.

They're a bit expensive for a minimum-cost box, but I think the cost
becomes rather less significant for anything sizeable or where you
want the extra assurance and hot-swappability of good hardware RAID
without the price of SCSI.

 - J<