kmail setup in RH8.0

Anyone here use kmail in RH8? I've recently set up a test machine but kmail
seems to be behaving strangely so I'm wondering if it's a KDE3 thing or a
psyche thing.

My shop uses RH 7.2 extensively (200 desktop users) and we are considering
migrating to 8.0 but I can't seem to get kmail configured correctly. We have
an email server setup for SMTP connections and for some reason kmail isn't
writing in the domain name correctly in address. For example, If I put
"steve" in the "To" address-line under RH7.2, it adds my domain name by
default when I click the send button. This doesn't happen under RH8.0 and
it's version of kmail. This version just adds "localhost" as the domain.
Everything looks to be configured the same between both machines.....

Doesn't it seem weird that all of a sudden this doesn't work? Has anyone
experienced this? pointers to some documentation?

thx in advance

-Steve