Re: CF card reader for RH8?

On 16 Nov 2002, Christopher M. Taylor wrote:

>Date: 16 Nov 2002 04:52:00 -0500
>From: Christopher M. Taylor <psychocop156@insightbb.com>
>To: psyche-list <psyche-list@redhat.com>
>Subject: CF card reader for RH8?
>
>Hello,
>Anyone know of a good quality CF card reader that is compatible with
>RedHat 8?  I'm not concerned with interface...the HCL seems to be a
>little scarce on this subject.  The CF reader will be used to process
>digital images for a local police evidence, and the Linux machine will
>be used to store those photos as evidence, as I feel that Linux will
>provide additional security over Windows.  Your help would be greatly
>appreciated!

I've got a "Lexar" USB CF reader from Radio Shack.  Cost me about
$40 CAD IIRC.  I was told by various people that pretty much all
CF readers work the same and should "just work(TM)".  To be
nasty, and test this theory out, I plugged the CF reader in for
the first time into the back of my keyboard which has 2 USB
ports, the other end connected to an Itanium 2 workstation
running developmental ia64 code.  To my amazement, the driver was
autoloaded, and I merely had to mount the device and copy files
from it.  My ia64 litmus test worked quite well.  ;o)

I've tested it on RHL 7.1/7.3/8.0 x86 based systems also with no
problems, and no special configuration other than editing
/etc/fstab.

I created a dir /film, then added an entry to fstab to mount the
device there.  I'd test it on Alpha also, but USB isn't
functional on my Alpha boxes.  ;o)

Hope this helps.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer