Can hear xawtv, but can't record audio

Hi,

I had a similar problem with sound which I eventually sorted out. Possibly your problem is the same as mine.

Basically, there seems to be an incompatability between aumix and the Gnome volume control.

I corrected the .aumixrc files as suggested (there's one in /etc, probably one in the users home directory and possibly one in /root). Sound recording (using audacity) then worked fine - for abouut 10 seconds until I adjusted the volume control. Then audacity went silent again.

By trial and error I found that you can adjust the sliders on the volume control, but if you start it, or click on any of the boxes, then it immediately over-writes the .aumixrc files and leaves them in playback-only mode. That happens even if the box you click is the "record" box. Previously, with RH7.3, I had to click on the appropriate "record" box to activate sound recording, but this time it just kills the recording, so that got me quite confused.

This looks like a bug which should be reported. It certainly wasted a lot of my time.

Regards
Clive Harris