Re: Video Card recommendation

There have been some lengthy threads on video cards that you might want
to check out -- I think either on the Limbo list archives or on this
list, and possibly both.

As to AGP 4x compatibility -- that means the card is compatible with
1.5v AGP slots. Some new motherboards take only 1.5v AGP cards and you
have to make sure the card is compatible -- just moving an AGP 2x card
to a 4x only AGP slot may damage the motherboard. Some motherboard
manuals warn you about this. Some don't. This is a lesson I'm learning a
little late in the day.

I have the manuals for an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro and a PNY Verto GeForce4
MX 420 here. Both are AGP cards. Neither tells you specifically what the
voltage requirement of the card is or gives any caution about
motherboard requirements. Which I think is stupid, at best. You will
find on ATI's web site that the Radeon 9000 is indeed 1.5v compliant. I
have yet to see this same information for the Verto card, the manual
just says "AGP 2x or better".

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA