Re: Boot Partition - Martin Stricker - Thank you!

>Message: 6 Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 18:23:56 +0100 From: Martin Stricker ><shugal@gmx.de> Organization: http://martin-stricker.de/ >http://www.surfo.net/ http://www.masterportal24.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi >To: psyche-list@redhat.com Subject: Re: Boot Partition Reply-To: >psyche-list@redhat.com Tino Meinen wrote:

<snip>

>Easier: Use the Red Hat Linux installation CD 1, and at the boot: >prompt type linux rescue
>It will boot, find any ext2/ext3 partitions and mount them, if it
>manages to find a /etc/fstab they will even be mounted the way >described there, and found at /mnt/sysimage. Do a
>chroot /mnt/sysimage
>and you're in your Linux system nearly as if booted regularly.

Martin thank you for writing that! I just used Linux Rescue for the first time and it works exactly as you described. Last night, the Compaq mouse on my wife's Psyche box wasn't detected. I used linux rescue, then
tried kudzu, which only gave me a message about the printer, and then I read in the book, "Red Hat Linux 7.3 Bible" about mouseconfig which cured the problem. I'd installed the Compaq mouse as a MS Intellimouse, as suggested on the installation page for the mouse, but it turns out the mouse is a Logitech.

For us newbies, there are thousands of little things like this we need to learn, to get up to speed with Linux.

Lanny in Cali, Colombia, South America