Re: Writing spec files

    >> I had to edit the make_uninstall script (mku) to replace "rpm -bb"
    >> with "rpmbuild -bb" to get it to work on RH 8.0.

    Neil> What if a person want backward compatibility with previous
    Neil> versions of rpm?  Is there some kind of built-in mechanism for
    Neil> this, or does the script need to check the major version of rpm
    Neil> and act appropriately?

I don't know.  I just changed the mku script to replace all occurrences
of "rpm -bb" with "rpmbuild -bb".  rpmbuild is available as far back
as RH 7.1, but not earlier.

I'd guess that you could use "rpmbuild -bb" instead of "rpm -bb" for RH 7.x
and RH 8.0.  If you're worried about rpmbuild not being present on an
earlier Red Hat system, you could use the following script:

     RPMBUILD=`type -path rpmbuild`

     if [ -x "$RPMBUILD" ]
     then
        BUILDCMD=$RPMBUILD
     else
        BUILDCMD=/bin/rpm
     fi

and then use "$BUILDCMD -bb" to do the builds.  This presumes that all
versions of rpmbuild have the "-bb" functionality (I'd think they would).

Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com>, the Red Hat rpm guru, could give you a
definitive answer.

--
	Ron Olsen