Re: RedHat 8.0 and TNT2 Ultra

On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 19:18, Mr. Adam ALLEN wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 18:59, Sylvain Jodoin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to Linux and just installed RH 8.0 Personal Desktop to learn
> > and play with it. Everything seems to work correctly besides graphics.
> > In fact, I just can't enable 3D hardware acceleration (the option is
> > shaded so I can not enable it) with the result that graphical
> > intensive apps are quite slow.
> >
> > I have a P-III 450 Mhz PC with a Nvidia Riva TNT2 Ultra/32MB-based
> > graphic board.
>
> That sounds familiar so that could be the same card that I have
>
> > Any hints, resources, pointers for newbie on how to resolve this would
> > be highly appreciated.
>
> If you haven't downloaded the drivers from nVidia's site, then that's
> the first job. There's two files, a GLX file and a Kernel file.
> nVidia pre-compile the drivers, so you either need to match the kernel
> you are running (probably 2.4.18),
do kernel revisions make the above untrue?  I have downloaded (via
up2date) 2.14.18-8..(I am on -7 now)..my nvidia drivers work (tnt 2
non-ultra) on my current kernel..however when i try to build then under
-8 it tells me buildmaster is not installed - as root...I did get the -8
src files as well.  are there specific nvidia files for each 2.4.18-X?

--
lovswr1 <lovswr1@earthlink.net>