Re: Writing spec files (was: kazaa and xtunes/sumi)

    Justin> This actually leads into a third topic. :) Writing spec
    Justin> files. I've been dabbling into this more and more lately. Is
    Justin> there a tool that will generate at least a skeleton spec file
    Justin> from an autoconf/automake/whateverisincludedinthisclumpoftools
    Justin> project? My main problem is determining the file list. I think
    Justin> the rest of the stuff I can lift from other spec files I've
    Justin> been hacking on.

I like to use checkinstall when I'm installing packages from tarballs:

http://checkinstall.izto.org

Checkinstall does a "make install" (or other install command) to a temp area
and then builds an rpm package which is installed on the system. It's a
great way to keep all your installed software in rpm format.

You could look at the spec file generated by checkinstall, but I just
use it as is.

Another package for creating rpms at the installation step is
make_uninstall.  It's a shell script so you can see exactly how it builds
spec files:

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/utils/package/make_uninstall-2.0.8.tar.gz

I had to edit the make_uninstall script (mku) to replace "rpm -bb"
with "rpmbuild -bb" to get it to work on RH 8.0.

make_uninstall is a little more flexible (it allows you to add/remove files
in the installation), but checkinstall is a little easier to use.

--
	Ron Olsen
	ron_olsen@qwest.net