Re: custom built kernel fails to mount root fs

    Ron> "make install" creates an initrd image and updates the grub.conf
    Ron> file, and it needs the results of "make modules_install" to do
    Ron> this properly.

    Pete> -make install- did not create an image for me nor did it install
    Pete> any image the last time I compiled a kernel (somewhere around the
    Pete> 2.4.7 series).  You may want to -man mkinitrd- and do it by hand
    Pete> to be sure and edit your grub or lilo accordingly.

Things have changed since you last built a custom kernel.  From the RH 8.0
Customization Guide, Appendix A, Building a Custom Kernel:

12. Use "make install" to copy your new kernel and its associated files to
    the proper directories.

    In addition to installing the kernel files in the /boot directory, this
    command also executes the /sbin/new-kernel-pkg script that builds a new
    initrd image and adds new entries to the boot loader configuration
    file.

    If you have a SCSI adapter and you compiled the SCSI driver as a module
    or if you built your kernel with ext3 support as a module (the default
    in Red Hat Linux), the initrd image is required.

13. Even though the initrd image and boot loader modifications are made for
    you, you should verify that they were done correctly. Refer to the
    Section called "Making an initrd Image" and the Section called
    "Configuring the Boot Loader" for details.

--
	Ron Olsen
	ron_olsen@qwest.net