rebuild /var/lib/rpm/Packages ?

bear with me. i'm still quite a newbie having only been using linux for
about a year.

i'm using psyche with synaptic as my package manager. something happened
- synaptic crashed and when i started it up again, it was unable to
start as i had two packages of krb5-workstation but different versions.

i deleted /var/lib/rpm/Packages and synaptic started again. however, i
now do not have a list of the installed packages on my system!!! dumb
huh?

now i can't get the redhat package manager or synaptic to work!!! is
there a command under rpm to rebuild my package db list and get
/var/lib/rpm/Packages back?

i tried rpm --initdb, rpm --rebuilddb but that doesn't have seemed to
work.

any help would be very much appreciated.....

thanks in advance.

andrew.